Thursday, December 11, 2014

this week's writing

We are writing in science class again. This time we are stating our opinions about whether our eyes or ears are more important. This is an in-class assignment!!! Please do not think that your child needs to finish this at home. We are working on it Thursday, Friday and Monday.


Students will need to start their papers with Occasion/Position topic sentences... here are some examples:
  • Although hearing is important, I think my sight is even more important.
  • Although I use my eyes a lot, I would rather lose my eyes than lose my ears.
  • If I had to lose one, I'd rather lose my ears than my eyes.
Students will also need to use transitions to start paragraphs and inside paragraphs.


Transition Words for CHANGING Paragraphs
·         First of all > Next > Finally
·         To begin > Next > In addition to
·         One reason > Another reason > The final reason
·         One example > Another example > The final example
·         An important reason > An equally important reason > The most important reason
 
Transition Words for Making a Point WITHIN a Paragraph

·         For example
·         For instance
·         Equally important
·         The most important
·         As well as
·         An example of


Their conclusion statement needs to be tied back into the opinion they stated in their topic sentence. (restated in a different way)






No comments:

Post a Comment