Sunday, October 24, 2010

TV and Computer Time

I have students that tease me all the time about how they are going to break their record for watching TV or playing Wii. 8 hours straight, they tell me. I groan and say "NO".

So, just to clear my conscience, here is a little article about screen time and kids...

"There's no getting around it: Hours of TV and computer time leads to psychological and academic problems for young people, even if those same kids are physically active for large chunks of the day, says New Scientist. In a study involving 1,013 kids ages 10 and 11, researchers in England found that kids who watched TV or were online for two or more hours a day were 61 percent more likely to have emotional, social, and concentration problems, as measured by a standard psychological test for children. Spending time outdoors only had a modest effect on the psychological impact. So it's not the sedentary nature of TV watching and computer use that's primarily to blame; it's something about the content or experience itself. Parents who limit TV and computer time to less than two hours a day need not worry, says study author Angie Page: "It's only above the two-hour threshold that you start to see the negative psychological effect."
taken from The Week magazine dated October 29th, 2010

Thank you for letting me get that out. =)
Ms. Whalen

2 comments:

  1. That is a great article! Our kids have greatly restricted screen time...I can't imagine when we would fit more in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really interesting, and I'm thankful Tiana isn't too bad about either long term (she does get obsessed for a day or two with a new game..) but I can see where it is all heading, especially with three adults in the house who are offenders...i work on the computer from home, my dad is an avid TV must be on even if no one is watching fan, and Walter loves his games :/

    ReplyDelete